Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

ßox


This week's Sepia Saturday theme is around working women with boxes in long frocks.OK.....I don't have any photos of my family working (!).My Aunt Brenda was of a time when long frocks were the vogue.But I've done Brenda to death here.......So my take in the theme is "box".To which end......

A little known fact :Pop Art was not born in 60s New York.it was born in the cobbled terraced streets of West Yorkshire in the (very) late 50's.as evidence for this ,here are 3 photos of my wife Cath .The photos were taken by her Dad Brian. Roll Over Andy Warhol!
This is going to be one of my "make it up as you go along posts".I will be going with Cath to see American singer Mark Eitzel at The Hebden Bridge Trades Club on Friday night.Expect to see me add photos/video/audio here during the weekend.

I love& admire the splendid blog Spitalfield Life I visit it most days.It's the perfect local community site . Mixing& blending  the contemporary with a preservation of local history (some lovely old sepian-friendly photos too!).However,I did baulk a wee bit when I saw this course its owner (the real "gentle author"!) is advertising "How To Write A Blog"@ £250 a pop!!!!!Now, I'm sure if you slipped Me & Alan ,say, £50.We would hold a stonking seminar at The Big 6 Inn,Halifax.It would be a splendid course !Infact,buy Alan enough pints of Real Ale & you may get one of his intriguing, extraordinary renditions of Simon & Garfunkels back catalogue!

I went to see Mark Eitzel with Cath tonight.Yea,he was good.But he troubled me a bit. I know a little of some of the places he's been:& some of the places he's going too......here is one video I took at Hebden Bridge Trades Club.
{ Others to follow soon+audio+images.......}
Some Initial Photos From The Gig Here

30 comments:

Brian Miller said...

ha. give a kid a box and they will be happy for hours....smiles. cool shots....bet it does not taste good though

Mike Burnett said...

Reminds me of a Christmas when my little brother was about 5 or 6. The rest of us were all working, and for Christmas he had 4 or 5 big prezzies.

Wildly excited it went something like this;
prezzie 1 rip, rip, open box, play, play.
prezzie 2 rip, rip, open box, play, play.
prezzie 3 rip, rip, open box, play, play.
and so on to the end.
they were quickly played out, and the rest of the day and Boxing Day the boxes became his most treasured playthings

Akelamalu said...

Strange how kids prefer the boxes to what they contain isn't it? :)

Jill M Hodgson said...

Fancy it being the quintessential Brillo box!!! (And what a bonnie baby)

Nigel Aspdin (Derby, UK) said...

Wish this was a weekly prompt image...it gives me great ideas !

Postcardy said...

I love those photos!

Cats like boxes too. Mine has been climbing into the top of one of my postcard boxes today.

Little Nell said...

What absolutely wonderful pictures of Cath and well done to her dad for grabbing the camera. Brillo pads eh? I bet Cath scrubs up well ;)

Cro Magnon said...

May I even suggest that it was the great Scotsman, Eduardo Paolozzi, who invented Pop Art. It was his 1947 work entitled 'I was a rich man's plaything' that started the movement... and it even contained the word 'Pop'. I do hate being pedantic!

Alan Burnett said...

Brilliantly imaginative photography. And I have a feeling that this post is going to grow over the coming days - so I will be back.

Kurt said...

I'll tell you how to write a blog for $20.

Bob Scotney said...

I wonder how long she stayed in that box. Bet she didn't want to come out.

tony said...

Cro...er..... wasn't Eduardo Paolozzi born in Batley?

ScotSue said...

A great take on the theme - love the Baby in the Brillo box!

anyjazz said...

Absolutely precious photographs. Nothing better than a kid playing in a box.

Brett Payne said...

What is it about kids and cardboard boxes? All kids love them, but why?

Karen S. said...

can one ever post too much about a dear aunt? I say no! Isn't it funny how this darling little one as all little ones and kitty cats and pups- some dogs all love to play in the box even more than with what ever was in the box! I really enjoyed this!

Titania said...

Never under estimate the power of a baby in a Brillo box. Wonderful!

Hazel Ceej said...

Hello darkness my old friend...

Baby in a box, awwww! Where were those boxes when my kiddo was that age?

Boobook said...

Fantastic photos, and I see now that I could have used a couple of photos along these lines for my own blog :)

Mike Brubaker said...

Best photos of a kid in a box I've seen today. To answer Brett's question: because they are filled with imagination. That's why they are the very best of toys.

Alan Burnett said...

Is that £50 each or £50 between the two of us. Lets set a date and then advertise the seminar widely on the Blogosphere. Location Big Six. By the end of the session we won't remember if anyone turned up or not - but who cares.

Eugenia O'Neal said...

Aww! She's too cute!

Kathy Morales said...

Such an adorable baby would make any box look good, but the Brillo box makes the photos even better.

Ann ODyne said...

I will see Kurt (above) with $20 first, and if that's no good I would like to sign on for your 50-quidder. Does it includes drinks?

The photo is wonderful, the box is, the post is, and so are the comments. Gosh I love blogs.

In my subscriptions list another Sepia is right after you -
try a plug-and-cord switchboard.

Tom said...

hoot! When I was a kid we had a pigeon fly into our picture window, and for a while we kept it in a brillo box. Named it Brillo, of course, and it stayed around for a few months. Guess you wouldn't want to name a kid Brillo, but not a bad nickname, eh?
Fun stuff.

tony said...

Tom, the support act before Mark Eitzel on Friday night was a Canadian called Woodpigeon.& he was Brillo!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hey, Tony! Cath is so sweet, and to think that the box originally held Brillo pads before it became hers. A contrast of sorts.

I enjoyed the music video and glad you had a nice time. $250? Maybe I should think about doing that. Thanks so much for stopping by to see me.

Kathy M.

TICKLEBEAR said...

Those pics of your wife are beyond adorable and the normal reaction of a child. What is our fascination with boxes? A need to compartmentalize our life? So early on?!?
:D~
HUGZ

Joy said...

Looks like her Dad had fun with this, what a cute memory. Where else would pop art start but Yorkshire.

FrankandMary said...

A baby shining aluminium fast. I do believe that is against child labor laws.

Kar brought soap pads at the dollar store & they were labeled tampons???? He said for a dollar he didn't care what they called them.